10.13.2010

Under a Rock...



Yes people, I have in fact been under a rock. Not the type of rock that affected those determined Chilean miners, but more like a psychological rock-a defense mechanism perhaps. It seemed that as soon as I decided to bare my soul to the world, a huge wall built up around me. The writing on the wall said "Need a break...be back soon". (Amazing that I didn't even recognize my own handwriting) I guess the break was more needed than I thought. I haven’t updated my blog, and I missed my last deadline for my monthly column in ‘Her…magazine’. I look forward to writing my column in the magazine every month, but this month I was so busy that I completely forgot about it. I thought maybe I could throw something together at the last minute just to make the deadline, but I don’t produce junk. So what was better, a last minute article that didn’t measure up to my normal work, or simply foregoing this month’s issue? Of course I went back and forth, thinking to myself that I might lose a few audience members if I stayed away too long. But when push came to shove, it was either lose some of my audience or lose my sanity. For what it’s worth, I chose sanity.
You'll have to count it to my head, and not my heart. I really haven't intentionally dismissed all that is around me. I simply needed to focus more on pertinent issues around me. Like my 13 yr old stepson who is going through a sea of growing pains, or my tired and stressed out husband who is running a million dollar firm on a wing and a prayer, or my best friend who lost both her dad and her brother this summer. We were all VERY tired and needed a minute to regroup. There is only so much chocolate and wine in the world, and driving to a PTA meeting drunk and fat is NOT an option for me.

Amazingly enough, the world was still in tact once I poked my head out from under that rock. I had the impression that the rest of the world had been spinning ferociously and had left me behind. I expected to come out and see little green men in space suits walking around Wal Mart and the Dollar Store as if I had been gone for centuries. As busy as I am, 5 days does seem like a century for me. My friends, my emails, my Twitter updates had all been pushed to the back burner. But thankfully for me, they were all still waiting when I came back. And now I actually feel productive again. I have on heels and eye liner again instead of flip flops and baseball caps. I feel ME again! Time to go stick my roast in the oven…