1.14.2009

I've lost someone very important in my life

Two days ago I was faced with the most horrible news I have ever received. Out of the blue, I was called to the hospital to find out that my uncle had died tragically in a house fire. I never imagined in a million years that I would have received that type of news.
My uncle and I were more like brother and sister. He was there for me all throughout my childhood, and I grew into adulthood our relationship flourished even more. I cannot tell you how many nights we have spent hours and hours on the phone, or in the living room contemplating the perils of life. I have shared things about myself that I have never told another human being, and vice versa.
What is amazing about this man is that he was born with Cerebral Palsy, and the doctors did not think that he would ever walk, let alone live for very long. Well, he proved them wrong. And he made a very impressive mark on the world. My uncle refused to take life lying down feeling sorry for himself, and went on to do many things-he travled the world, worked in construction, and was even a single parent at one time. He was such an inspiration. It is because of his inspiration that I was able to finally get up this morning without crying.
No matter what I ever did, he always told me that he was proud of me. He was proud of me for staying true to myself, and for always striving to be a better person. I truly felt that he was the only person who fully understood what I went through with depression and anxiety, and never judged me. He actually said he was proud of me for surviving my trials and not turning to drugs or alcohol to "fix" my problems. His death has actually inspired me to do even more with my life!
So today is the day of a new beginning for me. His body has passed on, but his strength has been passed down to me and my future.
Let's ride Uncle Joe!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Jayne Neverow said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss but it's so beautiful that you can remain progressive in his spirit.

My condolences and be blessed.