9.16.2010

Maintain your inner Diva all year long


Between husbands, kids, dogs and other household fiascos, it's very easy for any woman to lose her mind. I probably have at least 10 internal temper tantrums per week. But of course I would never admit that to my husband or my son.

My No. 1 rule to maintaining diva status in the home is to never let them see you sweat. My husband and my son think I'm a mind reader and that I can recreate Rome in a day. They will never know how many times I feel overwhelmed, or just need a little more help.

My No. 2 rule is to cut yourself some slack! There are some days when you just have to say goodbye to the pearls and stilettos — and hello to a baseball cap and tennis shoes.

My No. 3 rule is to spoil yourself every once in a while. As women, we spend so much time taking care of everyone else that we sometimes take ourselves for granted. Every woman needs a spa day, a new pair of pumps or lunch with the girls during the week. If you manage your finances wisely and maintain frugal shopping habits, you can afford a little treat every now and then without breaking the bank.

My No. 4 rule is to not take everything so seriously. We all want to be perfect wives, mothers, sisters, but in reality no one woman is going to be perfect every single day. Sometimes you have to know which battles to choose. It will not be the end of the world if your kid does not have a dozen homemade cupcakes for his class party. There are some days when you just need a break. No one is going to scrutinize you for being human. Love yourself, love your life and allow yourself to make mistakes.

No comments: